Thursday, July 26, 2012

Bike Ride to Bowness Park

This past weekend Jim and I rode our bikes along the Bow River Pathway to Bowness Park, a 74 acre park set on the Bow River.  The pathway is used for cycling, hiking, jogging, as well as rollerblading and skateboarding. The paths are connected with a system that extends along the Elbow River and other areas of the city.  The network spans 48 kilometres (30 mi) from Bearspaw Dam to Fish Creek Provincial Park, connecting major parks and green areas in Calgary.  We started out around 9 in the morning not knowing how far we would go or where we would end up.  Along the pathway we would stop to talk to people and ask them how far to the next green space.  Several times other bikers told us, "The ride to Bowness Park is a great ride.  Just keep going."  I dunno if it was the accent, but I was sure these folks were telling us to go to "Bone Ass" park.  Well, I didn't ask any questions about this "bone ass" park, not wanting to look like a tourist and all, but when we got there it all made sense.  This park is where rafters "put in" to float down river into Calgary.  The river is still pretty swollen from snow run off and it's running pretty dang fast.  It takes around 2.5 hours to float the 15 miles down river to where you get out.  As we rode along, we kept seeing water rescue teams in the the river.  I guess they were expecting some "bone head" or "bone ass" to do something crazy like jump overboard for a swim and get themselves into trouble.  I don't know the laws about drinking on the river here, but I'm pretty sure they are not as lenient as they are on the Guadalupe.  In other words, you are probably not allowed to drink a whole liter of vodka and cranberry by yourself, Jim...... 


On the way back to the house we stopped in China Town to check out the veggie market.  It wasn't as impressive as the one in Vancouver, so I'll keep going to the farmer's market near our house.   We had Chinese barbecue for lunch.  I wasn't sure what we were going to order, but you all know I'm always ready to try something new.  The first thing you get is a plastic glass of steaming hot tea.  I thought it was ice tea without the ice until I picked it up.  I'm glad I didn't try to chug a lug it.  I tried the pork and Jim had duck.  After you order, they grab the little piggy or duck that are hanging in the window, they hack it up, throw in some rice and bok choy and Voila! You have Chinese barbecue!  I have never had pork like this before.  It was delicious.  It is beautifully smoked with a nice red ring around the outside, like brisket.  Jim's duck was good too.  Next time, we try Korean barbecue!


The bridge to Bowness Park


Chinese Cultural Center


No trip to China town would be complete without a visit to the Dessert House!

No comments:

Post a Comment