Tuesday, August 21, 2012

High Tea and Old Baldy

Now, you may be wondering what high tea and Old Baldy have in common.  Actually, not a dadgum thing, but I haven't blogged in a couple of weeks and I needed to combine posts.  (So sue me). :)

Part One:  High Tea
Two weeks ago our Aussie friends, from Houston, Peter Waller and Bronwyn Kahl, were in town.  They invited us to High Tea at the beautiful Palliser Fairmont Hotel in down town Calgary.  The Palliser has a wonderful  High Tea, which Peter and Bronwyn graciously treated us to (thank you, P and B). We had a wonderful afternoon of sipping and nibbling, and that evening we met their friends Murray and Christina, (also recently relocated from Houston to Calgary) for dinner.  We may have found some skiing buddies in Murray and Christina.  They are snow enthusiasts like us.  Funny thing is...we haven't found any Calgarians who are interested in snow shoeing or skiing.  They just kind of look at us like, "Uh huh, sure thing, you must be from Texas if you want to pay good money to freeze your arse off."




Peter, Bronwyn, Christina, Murray,  yours truly, and Sugar Daddy


Part Two: Old Baldy
Our hike this week was to the summit of Mt. Baldy, unofficially named "Old Baldy" by the locals.  There were a few tricky bits, such as the four steep and narrow banks we had to traverse, before getting to the straightforward plod up to the ridge.  The distance from the trail head to the summit is 3.5 miles and the height gain is 2,830 feet.  The height gain kicked our butts.  It took us seven hours to complete including stops for lunch and pictures, but oh so worth it!  I have wanted to do a ridge hike since we arrived in Calgary, and this one was awesome!  As you ascend the ridge, the mountain tops rise up one by one until finally a 360 degree, breathtaking panorama is revealed.  My mouth must have been hanging open in the "OMG" position.  I rotated in a circle with my arms out and my head thrown back, taking in all of the peaks you could see from the ridge.  I must have looked like Julie Andrews in that opening scene of "Sound of Music" (except I wasn't wearing a "Heidi" dress with an apron).  I know, it's called a Dirndl, but I like to call it a "Heidi" dress. :)

I'm going to digress here (big surprise).  On our way up, we stopped to rest under a spruce tree so that we could reread the trail guide, which we had loaded onto Jim's phone.  The trail had kind of petered out and we weren't sure we were still headed the right way.  Anyhoo, Jim laid his phone down, and for some reason walked off and left it there......under that spruce tree..... the only one on the mountain. (Sugar Daddy speaking here....in my own defense, I was a bit excited after seeing my first black bear in the wild. Candy didn't see him....so she's not believing my story!)

At some point on the summit, Jim missed his phone.  Of course, chaos ensued.  A salesman without a phone!  Unheard of!  Preposterous!  We had to retrace our steps immediately!  Well, I wasn't having any of it.  We had worked long and hard to get there, and I was going to enjoy the views for a while.  So after we had hiked across the ridge line, and Jim took all of the fantastic pictures to follow, we headed down the mountain to try and find the lost phone.......under the only spruce tree on the mountain.  Needless to say, we never found it.  :(   Oh, well.  The day was awesome and Jim took some of his best pics yet.  I hope you like them.

Evan Thomas Creek, the climb begins!




Somewhere, in that valley, lies a perfectly good Blackberry!! 




Ridge line summit of Old Baldy looking west across the Kananaskis Range




Baldy summit looking southwest. From left to right, The Fortress, Mt Galatea, & Mt Kidd. Kananaskis Golf Course, lower right. Foreground: Sugar Daddy




What a view from 7,830 feet!


South end of summit ridge looking toward The Wedge and the Opal Range


Mt Allan and the Nakiska Ski Area


The tarn, west base of Mt. McDougall


Candy enjoying the view. Mt. McDougall top left


South end of ridge line, looking east northeast to Mt. McDougall




Crest of Mt Baldy summit, looking northeast


Jim smiling because he didn't die on the way up!


Baldy summit with west ridge line of Mt. McDougall in the background


View to the north from Mt Baldy, avalanche damage on near face


The Fisher Range


Candy at highest point of summit


View of the entire Mt Baldy summit, Kananaskis Range in the background


Glacier pond (tarn) along the col between Mt. McDougall and Peak 356417


Peak 356417


Highland plateau along the Fisher Range


Time to head back down, down, down!


Fowl play! Did this Alberta grouse take Jim's cell phone?


3.5 miles of steep grade and narrow traverses above McDougall creek




Best way to end a great hike......soaking your sore feet in the COLD water!




8 comments:

  1. OMG!!!!!!!! You guys are HARDCORE!!!!!! That hike looks AMAZING!! Way to go guys!! I love that you are capturing all the mountain names, you could write your own hiking book! And Dad, your pictures are gorgeous!! This part made me almost spit water all over my screen: "At some point on the summit, Jim missed his phone. Of course, chaos ensued. A salesman without a phone! Unheard of! Preposterous!" Hahaha.... I miss you guys so much. See you soon though!! =)
    Love, Case

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Casey Case,
      We can't wait to see you guys! Be sure to pack lots of sunscreen for your trip to the desert! I don't want you to come back looking like a post toasty!
      Love,
      Mom

      Delete
  2. I got a bad feeling about that bird...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ryan,
      LOL! That bird might just be Thanksgiving dinner! Dad got his new phone today! He is into the iPhone big time! Can't wait to see you guys!
      Love,
      Mom

      Delete
  3. Man! You're a serious blogger. Who knew? I miss ya... Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jan,
    LOL! Yes, I am seriously blogging! I just wish someone would pay me to do it! I'm having lunch with Amy on Wednesday, Sept 5 while we are in Houston for my son Ryan's birthday. Come join us if you can. We're meeting at Paulies at 11:30. I miss you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you didn't need the trail map again after you lost your phone! You would have been screwed! The photos are fabulous! Those hills definitely looked alive. I would have twirled as if wearing a dirndl too. Can't wait to see you next week for lunch, Candy!

    Amy Finney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy! Had a great time at lunch with you and Jan. Let's do it again in December!

      Delete