Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Canadian Thanksgiving in Houston

Sorry, no pictures this post.  Just me, waxing poetic (cough-cough).  So if you need to do something more important, now's your chance to click the little "x" at the top right hand corner of your screen.  

Thanksgiving is definitely one of my favorite holidays!  I love the anticipation of gobblin' up all that good food, which takes several hours of preparation and Herculean strength just to lift the damn turkey out of the oven...AND then laying around watching football or playing a rousing game of Yahtzee while grazing on leftovers.  What fun!  Well, since we won't be with the kids on Thanksgiving this year, we decided to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving on October 8th while we were in Houston.  No turkey this time.  Just a big ol' ham and lots of cobbler! What?  No dressing?  No pumpkin pie?  No sweet potatoes?  What is this world coming to, eh!?  I think I have lost the desire to cook even one more turkey after thirty-two years of traditional Thanksgiving feasts.  I call them feasts.......but the family may have another name for them.  Good thing the kids and Jim are open to eating almost anything.  And Cindy, bless her heart, goes along with whatever I whip up, so who knows? Maybe next year we'll have curry!  The best part is just being together, right?  No matter what comes out of the oven!

Now, the real reason we were in Houston was the yearly Breakbulk Conference.  Casey, Jim, and I enjoyed attending a few of the parties thrown by the ocean carriers.  Whooee!  They pulled out all the stops!  Lavish buffets, exciting entertainment, and lots of booze.  I think I may have been "over served" at one or two of those events. :)  I tend to forget how dynamic and charismatic my daughter and my husband are until I see them in action at these functions.  Talk about the "networking duo!"   They had the old schmooze control set on high!  

Ryan and Cindy are wrapping up wedding preparations.  It is going to be a beautiful wedding!  Those two kids are BUSY!  Along with planning a wedding, they are both hard at work at their day jobs and starting their own business.  I wish I had that much energy.....I wish I had any energy. :)  At some point, I will be including their website link in a blog post for all to enjoy, but I have to wait until they give me the "thumbs up".  It won't be long.

I want to give a  "Shout Out" to some very special birthday ladies.  First, my wonderful mother, Daisy, turned ninety-years-old on October 12.  What a milestone!  My mom is a great inspiration to myself and my brothers.  She has been the "glue" in our family and has always been there for her hard headed kids.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MOM!  WE LOVE YOU!  


We celebrated my good friend, Bev's, 29th birthday  (again) while we were in Houston.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEVERLAAAAY!!!!

Last, but not least, Jim's Aunt Ginny turns eighty this month.  Her wonderful daughters are throwing a "Prom" theme birthday party because it was a wish of hers to attend prom many years ago that was never fulfilled.  Since we won't be able to attend, we recorded a "birthday wish" video and Anthony edited it.  (I hope he remembered to brush out all my wrinkles.)  Thanks, Anthony!  And HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AUNT GINNY!!!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment